Studying theoretical physics is not that easy. Although there are many institutes in India for theoretical physics, many are unknown to the students. In this article, we are going to give you the top ten colleges and institutes for theoretical physics in India.
Harishchandra research institute located at Allahabad is one of the top colleges for theoretical physics in India. The college offers PhD in theoretical physics and MSc in physics.
Following is the eligibility for the course and interview for both the courses.
For M.Sc. in Physics at HRI
- A student with a Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering with at least 60% aggregate marks is eligible.
Appearing for the interview
- The candidate with rank up to 151 (i.e., percentile 97.59 and above (2020 cutoff)) in JEST is eligible to appear for the interview.
For PhD admission at HRI
- The candidates with rank up to 101 (i.e., percentile 98.62 and above cut off for the year 2020) in JEST is eligible to appear for the interview
- The candidate should have at least 60% aggregate marks at the masters and at least 55% aggregate marks at the bachelors degree level. (cut off for 2020)
- If the candidate qualifies the NET examinations and becomes eligible for a CSIR – UGC JRF fellowship in Physics, with rank up to 101, is eligible to attend the interview for admission to the Ph.D. program.
For more details visit the following links
For the admission process
2. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR Mumbai)
TIFR that is, Tata Institute of Fundamental research provides programs in M.Sc and PhD in subjects such as physics, chemistry, biology, etc
The eligibility for the MSc
- Any candidate in the final year of the degree can apply for the MSc
For PhD in Physics
- A candidate should have completed M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent degree, and the duration of the course should be not less than 5 years in total.
For Integrated-Phd (I-Ph.D).
- The candidate should have completed M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B.Tech./B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree with the duration of the course of at least 3 years in total.
- Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, is also acceptable for a duration of 3 years.
- Candidates with at least four years of university education who have cleared the written test may be considered by TIFR-H for their Ph.D. program.
- TIFR selects students on the basis of their score in the nationwide test.
- For physics, the score of GATE / NET / JEST is also taken into consideration.
- The cutoff of these exams are updated on the TIFR‐Mumbai, NCRA‐Pune, NCBS‐Bengaluru, ICTS‐Bengaluru, and TIFR‐Hyderabad
For admission process
ICTS:- International Centre for Theoretical Sciences
This institution provides courses like PhD and Integrated PhD in theoretical physics. Research on subjects like statistical physics and condensed matter, string theory, and quantum gravity, etc are conducted.
The following is the eligibility criteria:
For the PhD program
- A candidate should have an MSc/MS degree in Physics, or equivalent undergraduate/master’s program(s) having a duration of at least 5 years.
For Integrated PhD program
- A candidate with ME/MTech/BSc/BS/BE/BTech/BChem or any other degree in Science, Engineering or Medicine is eligible for the integrated program.
- The candidate should have completed an undergraduate/masters program of duration of at least 3 years.
Eligibility Criteria for the Entrance Tests (for year 2020):
- JEST: Rank between 1 to 80
- GATE: 90 percentile and above
- CSIR UGC NET (JRF Qualified): Rank between 1 to 50
- GRE (for overseas candidates): 80 percentile and above
For more details you can visit https://www.icts.res.in/graduate-studies/physical-sciences#eligibility
4. IIT Kanpur
IIT Kanpur provides programs such as PhD (Engg.), PhD (Sciences),MS (By Research), MTech,etc
Following is the eligibility for all the programs.
The candidate who is in the final year of his/her programme can apply, for securing a provisional admission
The institute provides an Institute Assistantship or Scholarship to the non-sponsored MTech, MDes, PhD and MS (By Research) students.
One should secure a minimum of 55% in his/her last appeared program.
For more information you can visit the following link
5. Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata
SINP:- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics provides PhD courses in physics and biophysical sciences.
Following is the eligibility for Physics
- A candidate appearing in the final examinations for his/her M.Sc. degrees during the current academic session may also apply
- An MSc postgraduate can also apply.
- The cut off for screening is Msc 60% and Bsc 55%.
The first screening is based on previous academic records of the applicants.
Further shortlisting of candidates is based on the performance in the nation-wide screening test as mentioned below:
For Physics :
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
- GATE in Physics
- CSIR/UGC NET for JRF in Physics
For more, you can visit the following link
For MSc programs
- IIT Kharagpur offers many courses such as Joint MTech / MCP-PhD, MBA and MMST degrees and also offer Integrated MSc programmes and Joint MSc-PhD programmes
- The institute offers MSc-PhD programmes in subjects of chemistry, geology, mathematics, physics, geophysics.
- The entrance exam for these courses is JAM (Joint Admission Test).
For more visit http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/admission-pg
Following are the rules and regulation for the PhD admission
- 60% marks in the previous year (MSc is needed)
- A candidate has to possess a valid GATE score that is above the cut off level.
- Candidates who have merely qualified in NET examination but have not got a fellowship will not qualify for Institute Research Assistantship.
For more visit http://www.iitkgp.ac.in/files/phd_ad.pdf
IIT Madras offers courses PhD and Msc-integrated in 16 various departments.
You need to have an MSc degree for a PhD program.
A candidate having a Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area
Research programs are conducted at the institute. Students visiting programs are also conducted at the institute.
You need to have a minimum cut off as per college rules for admission to the course.
For more visit https://www.ctp-jamia.res.in/academics/
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research provides research programs.
Following are the eligibility for PhD program
- A candidate with a Master’s degree in Science / Mathematics or a four-year Bachelor degree with at least 60% marks (aggregate) can apply to a PhD programme.
- The candidate has to qualify a national examination such as CSIR-UGC NET/GATE/JEST/NBHM/JGEEBILS, etc. depending on their area of research interest.
- Candidates are selected to the PhD programme based on performance in the interviews.
For more visit https://www.iiserpune.ac.in/admissions/phd-programme
10. INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE BANGALORE (IISc Bangalore)
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE BANGALORE provides undergraduates programs too.
Eligibility for undergraduate program
- Candidates who have completed 12th Standard and have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects are eligible to apply.
- The candidates must have secured a first-class or 60% or equivalent grade.
I hope this article helped you. If you have any query feel to contact us. Although the cut-off of all these institutes is high, hence you need to focus on your studies. Also, this institute is the prominent institute of India providing the best guidance possible for the study of physics.